7.29.2008

The State Fair

My niece left me a message last night. So I called her back on my drive home. I was pretty sure I knew what big news she had in store for me. I’d seen her over the weekend and she told me her 4-H judging was on Monday. Sure enough, the shadow box of her grandfather’s military medals was selected to go to the State Fair. She seemed so nonchalant about the whole thing, but I’m pretty sure she was more excited than she let on. I could just hear a big grin in her voice. It’s a very big deal. In my nine years of 4-H I never had a project selected for the State Fair. It’s been fun for me – Alison being in 4-H. It gives her a reason to call me. Every once in awhile she calls to tell me what the judges said or asking me what they look for in projects. She called when her clothing selection earned her a purple ribbon. It’s another thing we have in common – other than the fact that I was once a 12 year old girl too. 4-H is something I really enjoyed and it’s fun to watch her experience similar things. Congratulations Alison! I’m so proud of you. Can’t wait to see your shadow box on display in a few weeks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home